2018 Tournament Rules
As of 2018, all ABT tournaments are required to use the USBGF Tournament Rules (see: http://usbgf.org/docs/rules.pdf)
The NY Metropolitan Open will be using the following rule variations in accordance with the USBGF Tournament Rules
- Dice Landing on Checkers
Rule: Dice that land on top of checkers are generally valid rolls.
*At NY Metro: “No dice on checkers: A die landing on top of a checker is not a valid roll.”
- Legal Moves
Rule: Any illegal play must be corrected if noticed by either player.
*At NY Metro: “Responsible moves: The non-offending player may choose to condone an illegal move, or require its correction”.
*Please note: Players may use the standard rule for Dice Landing on Checkers and/or Legal Moves by mutual agreement.
The following terms define how certain equipment preferences are resolved:
Obligation: use is required, no player choice;
Preference: either player may insist on use;
Option: use only if both players agree.
- Clocks – Skill #1 (Open, Masters, etc.)
- Clocks – Skill #2 (Intermediate, Beginner, etc.)
- Clocks – Doubles
- Clocks – All other
- Use two dice over four dice
Obligation (changed from Preference) – players may not agree to use four dice
- Use non-expiring clock over tapping to end turn
- Use baffle box over rolling from cups
- Use cups with baffle box over hands
Option (changed from Preference) – a player may not insist that cups be used
Other Tournament Conditions
- NY Backgammon reserves the right to refuse entry into the tournament and to refuse access to the premises with no reason required.
- No entrant will be allowed to play below his or her level.
- This is a non-smoking tournament.
Please bring your own board and clock to the tournament.
The deadline for pre-registration is January 5, 2018 postmark.